Sketches of Logos and Magazine Covers

 Taking note of the artist research and my concepts, I began sketching our some designs for the logos and magazine covers.


Sketch for logo design

 In drawing the logo sketches, I tried to keep in mind of utilising symbols of Buddhism and of Earth, and if the design can be applicable in an enamel pin design. What is especially prominent in the symbols or logos of Buddhism is a shape which encircles all (i.e. usually in a circular shape), so I have attempted to give all the logos a rounded shape albeit with some differences to the overall shape for more dynamic look. I have tried both minimal look and maximal shapes to the logos, and while minimal logos are in trend currently I prefer the maximal logos as it seems more visually fulfilling. I would be building a digital piece based on selected sketches, which will be shown in a later blog post.


Sketch for magazine cover

 These are the sketches I have made for the magazines in relation to Penny Siopis and different issues of the Earth. As I have emphasised more Buddhist elements in the logo design, I have tried to put more focus on earthly issues in the cover design. In its formation I tried to keep in mind of how the texts and focal points will be arranged, and to make this process more efficient I have utilised the general formation of the golden ratio. By using the golden ratio I was able to arrange the texts and artwork in a more efficient and attractive way, and I would have to keep this in mind in the final version as well. Since I will be creating six of these designs, I aim to choose three of the main issue of the Earth and integrating them into the design while for the other three, I aim to replicate the style of ‘The Garden of Earthly Delights’ by Bosh but in relation to the Buddhist’s view of heaven, hell, and life (Samsara).

Comments

  1. Good detail in this post, Jenny. I think your sketches support what you are saying in your text well. Would be good to see a more developed layout of your design ideas in the next few posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art Portfolio 1: Sign Off and Major Project Plan

Artist Research: Penny Siopis, ‘Warm Water Imaginaries’ and Abstraction

End Term 1: Reflection Post