Skills Week: Sculpting the Figure

  We had a Skills Week in Week 5, and I have decided to join the ‘Sclupting the Figure’ session for my project. While this session was focused on using wires and clay in building the figure, which is quite different from the wood carving/whittling project that I am working with, this practice would help me get a better grasp on 3D figures. 




 We began with using the wires, one thick one and the other thinner ones, to build the frame and proportion of the figure. This would be attached onto a wooden base, where the clay would be added. To avoid adding too much weight on to the frame, we added foil to build initial volume before building it up with clay.



 After building the base figure, I added more flesh and the head. This process was more delicate as if there is too much weight, the figure may break apart.



 After finishing the figure, I have left it to try in my studio space.



 However when I checked in later on, the figure had several cracks running through it, making it too fragile to be painted on. This could have been caused by different factors including the clay type and temperature differences, but I am not sure of the exact cause. Until I have fixed this breakage, I will not be able to paint on in. 



 The fixing process had damaged the shape a bit, but it had to be done. If this fixture worked properly, there will be an update post with a painted figure.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Portfolio 1: Sign Off and Major Project Plan

End Term 1: Reflection Post

Further Artist Research: Fluid Art and Emma Lindström