3D Work (2/3): Clay Stamp

 As I was finishing my first 3D piece, I realised that I would not have enough time to finish another wooden work as even the first work (even in simple shapes) had took too much time to do. So I have changed my plans to create my last 3D work using air-drying clay which would make the process much shorter. And as this piece would be made in clay, I thought that this could be a maquette of hand stamps (like the ones in children's stamp sets, but if each stamp were to be like figurines as well). Thinking this, I have made my sketches.


Figure Sketch

Stamp Design

 Then I started in making my clay piece, the process shown below.


Build base using aluminium foil to lessen drying time.

Insert wire pieces for framework of the 'spines'.

Wrap the piece in masking tape to better attach the different parts and to avoid cracking (as it happened in the Skills Week figurine).

Cover base in clay.

Check for cracks in the figure and fill it with sand+gesso mixture.

Build the 'stamp' of the figure with solid clay.

Sketch on the pattern to the stamp after it has been dried.


Carve out the stamp.

Paint the whole piece in gesso and sketch out the design.

Paint the piece with acrylic paint, outline some parts with a Sharpie marker.

Varnish the piece.

Applying the stamp with some printing ink.

 Below are some shots of the finished piece.







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Portfolio 1: Sign Off and Major Project Plan

End Term 1: Reflection Post

Further Artist Research: Fluid Art and Emma Lindström